The R-Com IoT VT vehicle counting system uses a lamp post / wall mounted, high resolution video camera to count & record vehicle activity along specified routes or zones.
The primary function of this device is to accurately count vehicles entering, passing through and leaving a defined zone / specific location within the field of the camera lens.
Using CCTV and intelligent IOT VT processing units, the vehicle counting system achieves world leading accuracy levels in all conditions: day and night in rain, sun and snow.
The vehicle traffic detectors can be set to count vehicles going straight on a 2 directional road with multiple lanes or at multi directional junctions. One camera can cover several exits of a junction.
At four-way junctions, for example, the system provides multi-directional counts for vehicles turning north, south, east or west and coming from any direction (Multi-Way Junction IOT-VT Unit)
A dedicated VT processor module captures live video footage of vehicles passing thorough the zone activity and converts this into ‘units / blobs of data’. Sophisticated, embedded algorithms eliminate potential errors and compensate for shadows, poor light, duplication & tailgating.
Data is transferred to an on board MQTT logger unit where the data is stored and converted to industry standard MQTT format prior to transmission via Wi-Fi / network protocols to a remote Cloud based server.
Converting the data in real time & in situ in this way facilitates significant data compression in order to maximize the efficient storing and subsequent transmission of data for analysis.
All devices are highly secure and can be accessed remotely for remote management, maintenance & calibration.
These devices are usually deployed in three scenarios:
- As a series of linked units arranged in sequence to monitor vehicle activity & frequency at key check points along a specified route. By calibrating the devices along the route duplication can be eliminated enabling the total number of vehicles using the route to be recorded on a real time basis. The primary objective being to understand directional activity and to accurately measure the actual volume & frequency of vehicles along a given route at a given time.
- As single units designed to monitor and gather base / comparison data for specific hot spots, key intersections and access / exit points. The units can be used to measure specific activity at single points along the route, in particular key intersections where the systems can handle multi directional junctions.
- As an IOT Vehicle Occupancy monitor or Real time Car Park Space availability system. The occupancy figures can be displayed on LED / LCD displays and remotely through our online cloud platform.
Solution Application and Usage
The real time & time stamped, 24hr base data provided by the R- Com VT Vehicle Counter can provide invaluable data regarding vehicle activity within a City.
Understanding the quantity, frequency, direction & even occupancy of vehicles will provide invaluable insights for city planners looking to manage traffic flows and reduce congestion.
More traditional ‘clip board ‘surveys and interviews can be better targeted and designed using the highly accurate base data provided.
The solution is particularly effective for collecting baseline historical data to provide accurate business case support before any new road building or traffic management schemes are undertaken.
The data can also be used as before / after impact analysis to demonstrate return on investment following the implementation of City parking / zoning / pedestrian/ infrastructure initiatives.
Traffic data is uploaded securely in real-time to web browsers: users can log into their password-protected on-line accounts from anywhere.
There is no limit to the number of roads and junctions on which traffic can be counted using the scalable IOT system. Users can easily verify the vehicle counts simply by watching the video back and seeing the counts increase as the cars pass.
This can be used very effectively to:
- Accurately record vehicle activity at key points along city highways and major intersections.
- Monitor frequency and time of day usage.
- Analyse most effective / popular routes.
- Record vehicle activity before and after new road traffic initiatives
- Compare with traffic/ air quality data in order to measure vehicle emissions.
- Identify potential bottlenecks & safety issues.
- Monitoring exit / entry points onto a specific section of road.
- Calculate journey times and wait times at key intersections
- Support planning for & measure the impact of major city events
- Classify vehicle into 3 categories: Small Vehicles, Medium Vehicles & Large Vehicles
- Allow effective city traffic management strategies to be implemented
- Manage city parking resources and support Park & ride initiatives.
Allow healthy and vehicle Air Quality Pollution level reduction strategies to be validated and evaluated with quantitative data.